Wednesday, March 15, 2006

WorlBoy goes to SF

Well, Dan Brown is the real deal. He turned 16 today and plays great alto, writes and arranges like someone way older and dresses like the cats used to back a few years ago when swing was king again. Aside from a few personnel glitches the gig was a blast. Joining me on tpt was Eric Wayne, Mike Olmos and Henry Huang. Henry took a solo today that would have given Tim Hagans a run for his moola. Every time I hear that guy he grows in leaps and bounds. Mike Olmos....well what can I say. He's the best young tpt player to come up in the area since Tom Harrell lit up the various venues from SF to San Jose.
My friend Larry Leight stopped by to say hello. We used to play in Vice Grips band called Zooma Zooma. I misss that band very much. I guess when Vice feels it, we'll get back together. It was the only band that I ever played in that had a one drink per set minimum!
Later that evening I went up to Foothill College to do a dress rehearsal with their night band which is run by John Gove. John is a killer trombonist and writer. We have a concert next Tuesday and we'll be playing some tunes by Maria Schneider, Basie, and Miles/Bill Evans. Lori Stotko will be featured quite a bit as well as Modesto Briesenio, John Hetttel and others.
Tomorrow I go up to SF again to rehearse with my dear old friend Rudy Salvini and the cats. More to come.....

No comments: