Thursday, March 16, 2006

more from Da Worlboy

Happy Birthday to Joy, my baby sister. She turns 29 (again) and I hope she is having a great day. You go Sis!!!
I had a fun rehearsal with the Rudy Salvini Big Band yesterday. Got to play some solos and lead. I used to be in the band years ago when Allen Smith, Fred Berry, Bob Yance and Johnny Coles (to name a few SF heavy weights) played in it. Allen used to mentor me quite a bit and I am a better player/human being from it. Allen played with everyone and I mean everyone. He retired from the band a month ago. I guess it was time. He'd been in the band since the 50's.
The trumpet section yesterday was made up of Tom Bertetta, Niel Levonius, Steve Campos and myself. It was good to see some of the other cats still hanging in there. I'm looking forward to the gig Sunday.
Tomorrow, March 17th is the 45 year anniversary of Booker Little, recording his Out Front album. Robbie Kwock and I declare March 17th as Booker Little Day!!!!! If you've never heard of Booker Little, look him up!!!! He was a freakin' genius on his way to changing jazz trumpet playing in a major way when his life was cut short at 23 years young of Uremia. He played on many Eric Dolphy recordings and also with Max Roach. Check him out....
Later......

No comments: