Friday, July 14, 2006

Birth of the Cool dress rehearsal

Well, we had our dress rehearsal tonight and man, what a magnificent piece of work it is. It kinda reminds me of the days when I used to play with the Bay Area Jazz Composer's Orchestra led by the late (damn, I'm still not used to saying that) Jon English. The music is so rich and timeless. I really feel blessed to be a part of this. Playing this music really hips me to what kind of chops Miles had to be able to play this music. My respect for him jumped from 10*'s to 11*'s. (thank you Spinal Tap) Kris Strom is playing alto sax and once again, we play like musical twins reading each others minds and listening in the way that most folks dream about. She is the real deal and don't you forget it!!!! And by the way, for those who missed her interview with Chris Cortez yesterday on KCSM, it was fascinating and a informative view into the worl(d) of Ms Strom. That girl is my musical horn playing soul mate. Yee haaa!!!!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow nights performance. Trumpet students take note....90% air, 10% everything else. Pacing is the key to me making it thru what is proving to be quite a challenge. Stay tuned....I'll blog back at ya after the concert. And by the way, if you fall by don't forget to come up and say hi! This WorlBoy is a tired pup and heading to bed. Later!!!!!

No comments: