Sunday, February 05, 2006

Big Apple on Weds

So, like I was saying, the Big Apple bite a chunk outta me but in more ways than one. I walked more that week than I did in a year or so. The sun was out, it wasn't too cold and things were exciting.
After the hang Tuesday night, I stayed with Brian, Callie and her roommate at Callie’s pad out in Brooklyn. That night, I could hardly sleep. There was so much noise on the street outside. Trucks driving by all hours of the night people talking and just lots of city noise.
The next morning, we went to a diner for breakfast and it was just like the stereotype diner. There was a cook in the kitchen yelling to what seemed to be no one in particular “I gotta cheese omelets here….hey, pick up this corn beef hash and eggs…” ECT. I couldn’t help but laugh. It was so right on the money.
Afterwards, I took the subway back to midtown where I met Matt and went out to lunch with Fred Berry and Q. We went to a place across the street from Carnegie Hall called Trattoria (something or another). Great Italian food with a beautiful antipasti bar with lots of fresh seafood. Fred told us a great story about how Jon Faddis took Dizzy there once and Dizzy went nuts on the antipasto bar.
That night Matt and I went out to the Cornelia CafĂ© in the Village and saw a band called Askenov’s Accident (?). It was a pretty avant garde band and I totally dug it. Cong Vu was the trumpet player and I think Chris Speed was there too. Cong Vu played the most unconventional trumpet solos I’ve ever heard. It was almost like he was hissing thru the horn. When you over blow your aperture and pump lots of fast air thru the horn, you get this high pitched hissing sound which he used more as a percussive effect than a melodic one. His normal tpt sound was dark and almost brooding and his ideas were very melodic.
The only drag about the concert was there were these guys sitting at the table across from ours talking so loud that it was very distracting. Everybody kept turning around looking at them but they kept talking. The weird thing was they were there for IAJE!?.
Afterwards I met Brian and we went his pad to crash.
More to come later…….

No comments: